Friday Jan 20 2017: It has been warm, 30s-40s all week with rain, so I thought I better check the stores. I took off the roof, then the quilt box and partially lifted the top bar cloth. There was plenty of activity with bees on the remaining sugar blocks (fondant). But I put another block (broken into two pieces) under the cloth. Then I tried to cover it up again - not an easy task because the sugar pulls up the cloth - there isn't any excess - that's why I have two cloths overlapping to do the job.
Plenty of bees flew out and a couple circled around me but no stings, thankfully!
I hope this gets them through, though I do have one block of home made fondant left if needed.