Sunday, August 16, 2015

Fall feeding of the weak hive - August 16, 2015 Week 18

My strong hive looks great so I've just left it alone.

I decided to start feeding the weak hive with 2:1 syrup (sugar:water) so even though it had started raining, I wanted to take advantage of the warm weather - 80's today.
It's going to be in the 70's all week so I wanted to get this done.

Mark went with me, I had a veil on, he did not.

We smoked the hive and I lifted the top 2 boxes off. The third box had the start of only one comb and it was about 3x4" so pretty small.

I moved that top bar to the bottom box (what was the fourth box is now the third box) because the bottom box has a window.

I put the top 2 boxes back on and changed the top bar cloth to the one with the hole and put the 2 feeder bottles on top of the feeder/screen then the feeder box went on.  The quilt went on then the roof.

I then shook out the bees from the box I had removed but left it outside on the porch so the girls can fly back to their hive overnight.


No comments:

Post a Comment