Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Tuesday October 27, 2015 Feeders on Hive B off today

Today I opened Hive B, removed the feeders and the top cloth with the hole and replaced it with the top cloth which has no hole.

All went well.

The hive is back together.

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Sunday October 25 2015 - the anniversary of my Grandma Pieper's 113th birthday

I filled the feeders on Hive B on Friday morning , they are still taking down syrup and there is STILL pollen coming into that hive.

Jon and Rachel were out and we rode all four horses - ask Rachel about the "ravine incident" - had a lovely day.

A few days ago, I saw this bird just east of my hives:

If you can't tell, it's a ruffed grouse (Bonassa umbellus)

Monday, October 19, 2015

floors 1/2 way in, pollen still coming in

Monday October 19: 75 degrees out
Hive A the workers are dragging out drones in the morning not so much in the afternoon but they did attack and remove a wasp

Hive B: pollen still coming in, syrup still being taken down.

I put the bottom boards in 1/2 way.
The insulated walls are "curing" in the sun - hope they'll stay  but I might have to duct tape some more.

Here are videos of the entrances:
Hive A:

And Hive B:

Built insulated walls for winter

So on saturday october 17 I assembled some insulation to serve as winter protection, not sure how well it will work.

Redrilled the top hole on Hive A because they had blocked it with propolis/comb/honey.
Put the cork back in.

Sunday Oct 18: 68 degrees

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Tuesday October 13, 2015 Decided to keep feeders on

Sunday, 2 days ago, it was 85 degrees, a new record! The syrup was nearly empty so I decided to fill them again and will pull the feeders when they stop taking down the syrup.

There are less bees in Hive A but I think it is normal for overwintering preparations. Hive B is looking stronger from a number of bees standpoint but not sure they'll have enough honey to make it through winter.

Monday, October 5, 2015

October 5, 2015 Still feeding Hive B

I checked the feeders and they were nearly empty so one more round of syrup went in to Hive b today.
I plan to remove the feeders next week, at least that's what I'm thinking as of today.