Sunday, July 6, 2014

July 6, 2014 Putting supers on the hives

.

 So today I decided to "super" my hives. That is, I put a new box on top of each hive in order to encourage the bees to just make honey in the top box. Supposedly, we are having a really great nectar flow so the bees should be bringing in lots of nectar to dehydrate and make into honey.

So I took off the roof, then the quilt box. I pulled back the top cloth and removed 2 combs attached to their top bars and transferred them into the new top box. Then I put two replacement top bars back in those boxes.

 I don't know what I'm talking about half the time, so don't take my word on what these images show...I'm just not sure :)



Because after I said there isn't any capped brood, I saw some or capped pollen but I think it's a capped drone cell. The puffy yellow thing.

Anyway, then I put the cloth on top of the "new top box" after I put the new box on top of the hive. Then I  reassembled it.  All went well. No stings.


this is just a picture of the open box:



and this is inside the box when 2 top bars/combs are removed:



1 comment: