Monday, April 21, 2014

Less than 24 hours later

So I went out around 10:30 am after reading various sources and removed the grass plugs. Then Mark said "I thought you were supposed to wait 24-48 hours?" and I got all nervous about it. But most sources said not to plug it that long. I called Bee Thinking and they said not to worry, don't plug it.
So I compromised - tonight ~5pm, I went out and partially plugged the entrance hole so they can get in and out. I checked the feeders and I wasn't sure they were working, 3 of the 4 seemed like they had a vacuum lock and when I turned them over and back the syrup came out the holes again. So I will check in another day to see if I need to fill them.

At 7:30 Mark and I went and watched for any activity but they all seem to be in the hive, the queen cage on the hive closest to our house is visible through a window but I can't tell if the queen has been released - I can't see the marshmallow but it's turned 90 degrees from my view. There isn't a window on the bottom box on the other hive.

Here's a video from this morning (ok it's rotated here but it isn't on my iPhone). It was warm today around 70 but getting cooler tonight, around 40, definitely cooler than last night. Rain is in the forecast. I will remove the queen cages on Wednesday night because Thursday I have hospice training.

1 comment: