Sunday, April 20, 2014

The beginning of year 2

We picked up two 3# packages of Carniolan bees with two queens.
Got them hived as the sun set around 8pm. I got a bee under my veil who decided to sting me on my throat.
Put pollen packs on and 1:1 sugar syrup (sugar:water) in feeders above the top bars.
Went back to make sure the bee stragglers had moved in to the hive, I picked some up to put them on the ledge to the opening of the hive and got stung again! On my pinkie finger.

So just went back again around 10 pm and plugged the holes with grass.  A cluster of bees are outside the hive but that's just too bad at this point.

Here's hoping these hives work!!


2 comments:

  1. Why are they so aggressive? Is it because they're settling in to a new hive?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know that they are aggressive, in fact, they're pretty passive when you think I was shaking 15,000-20,000 bees into 2 boxes. I was covered in bees but one got under my hood and it just stung my neck - likely my sweet smell. HAHAHAHA. Anyway, the second sting occurred when I picked up a cluster of bees with my bare hand and set them on their landing shelf - maybe I squeezed one and she got upset.

    ReplyDelete